A public announcement was made on February 19, 2015 at Meadowbrook Golf and Country Club by VanTrust Real Estate, LLC along with Johnson County Government, the City of Prairie Village, and Johnson County Park & Recreation District regarding their intent to work together on a redevelopment project including a significant opportunity for a regional park in Northeast Johnson County.
The proposed plan preserves approximately two-thirds of the green space which would be owned, operated, and maintained as a county park by Johnson County Park and Recreation District. Substantially all of the park acquisition, park improvements, and other public improvements would be funded by the taxes generated by the private development. The remaining 42 acres of the approximate 136 acre site would be developed by VanTrust, a Kansas City-based national developer of residential communities and commercial projects, and would provide multiple housing options.
The conceptual site plan from Spring 2015 for the proposed Meadowbrook Park and redevelopment is available for download here (PDF).
Development & Park Websites
Johnson County Park & Recreation District Meadowbrook Park Master Plan (outside website)
Meadowbrook Community - Private Development (outside website)
A tentative calendar of events related to the Meadowbrook redevelopment is available here
(PDF, updated 3/31/2016).
5/23/2016 - With a ceremonial turn of the soil, community partners joined to celebrate the official start of construction the Meadowbrook redevelopment in Prairie Village. Read the news release here.
5/2/2016 - City Council took the following actions related to the Meadowbrook Redevelopment:
- Approved design agreement with Phelps Engineering for 2016 SMAC stormwater work for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved engineering services agreement with Phelps Engineering for public improvements at Meadowbrook Park
- Approved acceptance of best bid on 2016A GO TIF Bond
- Approved GO and SO Bond Ordinance
4/25/2016 - City Council took the following actions related to the Meadowbrook Redevelopment:
- Approved the lighting plan for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved the Bond Sale resolution
- Approved the Bond purchase agreement SO TIF bonds
- Approved the Master IRB resolution
- Approved Environmental Escrow Agreement
4/18/2016 - City Council took the following actions related to the Meadowbrook Redevelopment:
- Approved scope of Pond Work (Stormwater Improvements) for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved scope of Initial Trail Work for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved Title Commitment and Survey for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved Escrow Agreement
- Approved an Assignment Agreement related to the Park Gift Site Agreement
- Approved Project Easement Agreement for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved Memorandum of Agreement for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved Right of Way Maintenance Declaration for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved Consent Letter regarding Planned Neighborhood Units for Meadowbrook Park
- Approved final plat for Meadowbrook Development
4/14/2016 - An updated land survey is now available.
4/5/2016 - The Planning Commission approved the final development plan and plat for the Meadowbrook Community and the final development plan for the Meadowbrook Apartments.
The following items were presented to the planning commission:
- Meadowbrook Community - Multi Family Apartment Building
- Meadowbrook Community - Wayfinding and Signage
- Meadowbrook Park - Final Plat
- Meadowbrook Park - Updated Vision Book Pages
- Meadowbrook Park - Final Development Plan
- Meadowbrook Apartments- Final Development Plans
- Meadowbrook Apartments - Parking Garage Floor Plans
- Meadowbrook Apartments - Building Perspectives
- Meadowbrook Apartments- Legal Description
- Meadowbrook Apartments - Building Elevations
- Meadowbrook Apartments - Site Plan
12/21/2015 - At the Monday, December 21 City Council meeting, City Council reviewed and approved the redevelopment project plan (TIF), park site gift agreement, and the developer agreement. With these approvals, the Meadowbrook redevelopment and park have taken significant steps forward. It is anticipated that the project will break ground this spring, with the estimated project completion in 2019.
12/7/2015 - At the Monday, December 7 City Council meeting, City Council reviewed and approved several items related to the redevelopment of Meadowbrook Country Club.
The City Council unanimously approved the rezoning of the property from R-1a (Single Family Residential) to MXD (Mixed Used District) and CP-2 (Planned General Business District). The rezoning will allow the redevelopment of the southern portion of the property to include single-family housing, apartments, an inn, and retail shops.
On a 10-2 vote, the City Council also approved the preliminary master plan for Meadowbrook Park. The proposed plan includes iconic gardens, several miles of walking trails, destination playgrounds, tennis and pickleball courts and more. Significant discussion took place over the decision to locate a street connection to the development from Roe Avenue. The approved plan includes the Roe Connection offset slightly from 91st Street. The plan is available to view here (LINK) and will go to the Johnson County Park and Recreation (JCPRD) Board and Johnson County Commissioners for approval.
12/1/2015 - Landworks Studio presented the latest version of the Meadowbrook Park Master Plan:
12/1/15 - Traffic Studies are available to view here:
11/16/2015 - Landworks Studio presented the latest version of the Meadowbrook Park Master Plan to the City Council:
Proposed revision to the northeast corner:
11/12/2015 - The Planning Commission recommended approval for Van Trust Real Estate’s preliminary development plan as well as the rezoning request to have a portion of the property rezoned from single family residential to mixed use. The following items were presented to the planning commission:
- 11/12/15 Packet
- Van Trust Presentation and Vision Book Part 1
- Van Trust Presentation and Vision Book Part 2
- Preliminary Plat
- Meadowbrook Traffic Review
- Revised Site Plan - Parking
- Revised Staff Report
11/6/2015 - Wilson & Company Traffic Study as of 11-6-15
10/12/2015- The conceptual layout for Meadowbrook Park is now available:
10/9/2015 - The Park & Village TIF Project Plan was submitted and is available to view here:
10/8/2015 - The review period for Johnson County and the Shawnee Mission School District has expired, thus the redevelopment district is established.
9/29/2015- The Johnson County Park and Recreation District (JCPRD) is holding the first of two public meetings as part of its planning process to develop a park master plan for the former Meadowbrook Country Club.
The initial meeting will be held from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 29, at the Meadowbrook site located at 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, KS. The public is invited to come and go at any time during the open house.
9/8/2015- The City Council approved an ordinance making findings and establishing a redevelopment district (TIF district) for the Meadowbrook area
8/3/2015- The City Council approved a resolution setting the date for a public hearing for the creation of a redevelopment district (TIF district). The hearing will be on Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 7:30 p.m. at the City Council meeting. Background information provided at the City Council meeting is available here (PDF)
5/7/2015- The City commissioned the appraisal to determine the fair market value of the proposed park property. The developer (VanTrust) has indicated that they are willing to sell at a value below the appraised value.
4/21/2015- Representatives from Van Trust and Legend Senior Living shared a presentation regarding the proposed senior living facility at the April 20, 2015 Council Meeting. A copy of the presentation will be available for download in the future.
Gary Anderson, the City's Bond Council, made a presentation regarding the financing mechanism at the April 20, 2015 Council Meeting. The presentation is available for download here (PDF).
3/12/2015- Members of the public were invited to join representatives from VanTrust Real Estate, Johnson County Government, Johnson County Park & Recreation, and the City of Prairie Village for public open houses related to the proposed plan for the redevelopment of Meadowbrook Golf & Country Club in March.
While the open houses have already occurred, public comment is still welcome. Please email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A video presentation was made at the open houses and may be viewed here (link will open a new website).
A presentation was given at the public announcement and is available for download here (PDF).