All administrative or retail businesses in Prairie Village must obtain a City license.
- License fee is based on Square Footage
- Download the Administrative / Retail Business License Application [PDF]
If a new structure is built or there will be exterior or substantial interior improvements to the structure, applicants must also obtain permits from the Building Codes Department and pass a final inspection prior to receiving an Administrative/Retail license.
Q: What is an Administrative/Retail Business?
A: Any person engaged in any type of business or profession that leases or owns properties zoned C-0, C-1, C-2, or Planned Business District shall be considered either a retail establishment or administrative office for City licensing purposes.
Q: How long is the license valid?
A: The license is valid for one year and must be renewed annually.
Q: When do I need to obtain the license?
A: A business license should be obtained prior to your company's first day of operation in Prairie Village.
Q: Do I need a license if my business is based out of my home?
A: Yes A Home Occupation License is required for all home-based businesses.
Q: How much will the license cost?
A: License fees for Administrative/Retail business licenses are based on square footage. Fee Schedule [PDF]
Q: What do I need to fill out the license application?
A: The following information must accompany all Administrative/Retail license applications:
- common and legal name of business
- street and mailing address
- name and address of owner or corporate agent
- business, mobile and fax phone numbers
- type of business
- name of owner of building where business is housed
- total square footage of the business - must supply copy of the lease
- documentation if your business is required to be licensed or certified by the State or Federal government
- Kansas State sales tax number
Q: Who do I call with questions or problems?
A: Information on licensing requirements and fees is available from the City Clerk's Office or by calling 913-381-6464 or sending an e-mail to email@example.com.