If you lose your pet, please follow the next series of steps:
- Notify Animal Control at 913-385-4631
- Notify Police Dispatch at 913-642-6868
- Notify the Lost Dog Registry at 913-808-3373
- Notify surrounding cities because your dog may cross city boundaries
- City of Leawood - 913-642-5555
- Northeast Johnson County - 913-782-0720
- Overland Park - 913-895-6300
- Kansas City, MO - 816-513-1313
- Register on-line at www.kcpetconnect.com
- Place a free ad with the Kansas City Star at 816-234-4000 or the Johnson County Sun at 913-381-1200
- Make flyers with a current photo to distribute to grocery or pet stores
- Visit the shelters/clinics in person to look for your pet. There is always the possibility that another person's description of your pet will vary from your own. Find out how long the agency holds pets for owners to claim (varies from 3 to 10 days) and visit at least that often.
When Animal Control finds a lost pet, they make every attempt to return the pet to its owner. Help us increase the opportunity to protect and return your pet to you by keeping a collar on your pet with a current city license on it. If an owner cannot be contacted, the pet is taken to the Great Plains SPCA Lost Pet Center. Call Animal Control at 913-385-4631 or Dispatch at 913-642-6868 to find out if we have picked up your pet. The Lost Pet Center is open Monday - Friday from 10 am - 6 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 11 am - 6 pm. Great Plains SPCA is located at 9800 W 67th St, Merriam, KS, 913-742-7329. To reclaim your pet, a valid photo ID is required.
Fees for all reclaims are:
$75.00 Administration fee - This is what you will pay when you pick up your pet the same day.
Each additional day (boarding) = $25.00
For example: Day 1 = $75.00; Day 2 = $100.00; Day 3 = $125.00; etc.
This does not include the separate citation fee you may have to pay the City of Prairie Village.
Running at Large: 1st Offense = $35; 2nd Offense = $85; 3rd Offense = $160
The City of Prairie Village requires pets to be licensed and current on rabies vaccination.
- Look for tags. Rabies tags are issued by veterinarians who keep owner information. City license tags are issued by cities that also keep owner information. Look at the collar. Owners will sometimes write contact information on the inside of collars.
- Call Dispatch at 913-642-6868. They will check to see if the pet has been reported missing, take a description of the pet, and your contact information in case the owner calls looking for the lost pet. They can also look up the city tag to find the owner information.
- Take the pet to a vet or shelter and ask them to scan him/her for a microchip (which can provide owner information).
- If you cannot care for the pet and need to surrender him/her, be sure to contact the Animal Control department for the city in which the pet was found in. This gives the owner the best chance of reuniting with their pet. If the pet was found in Prairie Village, please let Dispatch know so that Animal Control can be sent to your location to retrieve the pet.