The Prairie Village Police Department Traffic Unit is responsible for educating the driving public on the proper use and installation of child safety restraints. The officers of the Traffic Unit are generally available by appointment only on Wednesdays to assist you in the installation of your child safety restraint. To make an appointment, please call 913-385-4656.
- Child seat restraint installations and inspections are available for Prairie Village and Mission Hills residents, as well as employees of businesses in either Prairie Village or Mission Hills.
- Please ensure the child seat is in good working order and not past expiration date. Expired or damaged seats will not be installed by the Department.
- To help in the installation of your child safety seat, please have the seat installation
manual and your vehicle owners manual with you at your scheduled appointment.
- For more information about child safety seats or listings of recalled child seats, visit
the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site and Safe Kids site at www.nhtsa.dot.gov or www.kansassafekids.org or www.kansasboosterseat.org.
- The Kansas Highway Patrol, Troop A, 1220 South Enterprise, Olathe, Kansas 66061 can
also assist you with the installation and inspection of your child safety seat. Their contact number is 913-782-8100.
What should you, as a caregiver, expect from a Child Passenger Safety (CPS) Technician? The car seat installation experience is an interactive one. As the caregiver, you should leave confident that your child’s seat is installed correctly AND that you are comfortable reinstalling and using it correctly. To ensure that you have the best experience you should prepare for an education.
- If expecting, schedule an appointment 1 to 2 months prior to Mom’s due date. Many CPS Technicians and their agencies require appointments several weeks in advance and some moms deliver early.
- If your child is already born, know your child's weight and height.
- If your child is already born, bring your child with you. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Using the Child Car Seat Instructions, install the seat into your vehicle prior to your appointment.
- Look up “Child Safety Seats” in your Vehicle Owner’s Manual. You will learn how a child’s car seat should be installed in YOUR car. The Car Seat Manual may not reference the requirements specific to your vehicle.
- Bring the Car Seat Instructions AND the Vehicle Owner’s Manual with you to your appointment!
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS Technician install the car seat. They're trained to teach you, not install it for you. This one-on-one education typically takes 20-30 minutes, depending on the car seat and the vehicle. The CPS Technician should take all the time necessary to ensure that you feel competent and confident in re-securing the car seat into the vehicle and re-buckling your child into the car seat on your own.
During the check up, a competent CPS Technician will:
- Fill out a checklist form (including car seat type, location in vehicle, misuse observations, if any, etc.).
- Review car seat selection appropriate for your child’s age, size, and review factors affecting proper use.
- Review the Car Seat Instructions and the Vehicle Owner’s Manual with the caregiver and ensure that both are being followed correctly.
- Ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used, especially when using LATCH.
- Check the car seat for recalls, visible damage and an expiration date.
- Have you install the car seat(s) correctly using either the seat belt or LATCH system. You are encouraged to ask to learn how to install the seat with either options or in different seating positions.
- Discuss the next steps for each child, such as when to move to the next type of car seat.
- Discuss the benefits of everyone riding properly restrained, including all adults.
- Discuss safety in and around the vehicle.
- Discuss your state laws and best practice recommendations for occupant safety.
After the check up, ensure you can say yes to ALL of these questions:
- Did you perform the installation?
- Do you feel confident about installing and using the car seat correctly?
- Were your questions answered? If not, were you given direction as to who you should contact or will the CPS Technician follow up with you?