City services impacted by COVID-19 Pandemic
Update - 5/1/2020
Republic Services will begin hauling away small bulky items on their regular schedule beginning May 4. For more information on small bulky item pickup visit the solid waste page.
Following a stay-at-home order issued for Johnson County based on recommendations from health experts surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Prairie Village has reduced the number of staff working from its facilities and temporarily altered some services. Residents are encouraged to do business with the City online or via phone, fax, mail or email. A list of services impacted is as follows:
- The large item pickup originally scheduled for March 28 & April 4 has been postponed. The new tentative dates for this year’s collection are:
- June 6 - Residents on and north of 75th Street and those east of Belinder
- June 13 - Residents south of 75th Street, except those east of Belinder
- Effective immediately, Republic Services will not haul away bags of trash and other items that are outside of trash bins. This measure is taken to reduce drivers' exposure to the coronavirus. The City will suspend selling stickers for extra bags of trash, and residents who have the stickers on hand should not use them.
- Residents whose trash needs exceed the limits of their bin's capacity, can secure an additional 65 gallon bin at a cost of $35 for a year, paid directly to Republic.
- Residents in need of additional bins for their trash can contact Republic Services at Customerkc@republicservices.com 816-521-3110. Include name, address, and phone number.
- There will be no small bulky item pickup until further notice.
Building permit applications and plans can be emailed to email@example.com. If rolled plans must be dropped off, you can call 913-385-4604 to schedule a time to drop off the plans.
The City is still reviewing plans and issuing permits for all types of construction; however, all inspections are being completed by video and photo documentation until further notice. On the day of the scheduled inspection, the permit holder will be contacted by a building inspector with information on the video and/or photo inspection. Contractors can use third party inspectors for footings, foundations, and all structural items. This should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and sealed by a Kansas Registered engineer.
To schedule an inspection, please email email@example.com or call 913-385-4604. Please keep in mind that we have reduced hours and staffing levels currently. If nobody answers your call, please leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Licensing for animals, businesses
- While animal license renewals will be sent out, the City understands that resident’s ability to pay or get proper vaccinations for their pets may be limited. Late fees will be waived, and no late notifications will be sent under our typical procedure.
Pool Passes and Summer Recreation Programming
- Pool pass sales and registration for summer recreation programs will not begin April 1. The tentative new date for sales and registration is May 1.
Parks & Playgrounds
- Parks remain open; however, playground equipment is closed. Park guests must maintain appropriate social distance.
- Bathrooms will be kept open, but drinking fountains will be turned off.
- Basketball courts are closed.
- Tennis courts are closed.
- Sandboxes are closed.
- All facility reservations for park shelters and conference rooms at City Hall have been canceled and refunded through May 8. More cancellations may be necessary. City staff will re-evaluate and begin that process in mid-April.
- City Committee meetings scheduled through early April will be canceled.
- Court Dockets scheduled for April 2020 will be rescheduled as follows:
- Prairie Village: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 docket- rescheduled to Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.
- Prairie Village: Thursday, April 9, 2020 docket, for defendants without an attorney -rescheduled to Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.Defendants that have an attorney, please contact your attorney for the new court date.
- Prairie Village: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 docket - rescheduled to Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.
- Prairie Village: Thursday, April 16, 2020 docket, for defendants without an attorney -rescheduled to Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.Defendants that have an attorney, please contact your attorney for the new court date.
- Prairie Village: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 docket - rescheduled for Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.
- Prairie Village: Thursday, April 23, 2020 docket, for defendants without an attorney –rescheduled to Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.Defendants that have an attorney, please contact your attorney for the new court date.
- Mission Hills: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 docket, for defendants without an attorney-rescheduled to Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.Defendants that have an attorney, please contact your attorney for the new court date.
- Mission Hills: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 docket, for defendants without an attorney-rescheduled to Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.Defendants that have an attorney, please contact your attorney for the new court date.
- New court dates can be viewed online:
- Prairie Village cases at:
- Mission Hills cases at: https://www.municipalonlinepayments.com/missionhillsks/court/search
- Payments are encouraged to be made online at https://www.pvkansas.com/city-government/departments/municipal-court/pay-online or by mail 7700 Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS 66208.
- Valid Insurance proof can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Court fax will be monitored weekly. For timely service, please send correspondence via email.
The main contact information for the City of Prairie Village is:
Mail: 7700 Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS 66208