Former Teen Council members with Council Members Serena Schermoly, Jori Nelson,
and Mayor Laura Wassmer
The mission of the Prairie Village Teen Council is to give our teens an opportunity to learn and actively participate in municipal government, positively impact our community, and gain leadership experience. This program will coincide with the academic school year beginning fall 2018 with graduation occurring in spring 2019.
The teens will have an opportunity to work closely with City Council representatives, sit on the dais and participate in discussions during the Council Committee meetings, tour and learn about our Public Works department, do a ride-along and learn about our Police Department, attend committee meetings, a school board meeting, and work together on a public service project. We are excited to offer this very hands-on learning experience for our youth in Prairie Village.
The student must be a Prairie Village resident (full or part-time), be a sophomore, junior, or senior high school student, and the teens and the parents must be willing to sign an agreement to complete all of the requirements.
Required Events (over the course of one school year)
- Attend an introduction meeting to the program meeting
- Attend four City Council meetings
- Complete a public service project with school or group
- Attend one community involvement meeting
- Public Works operations and tour
- Prairie Village Police operations and ride along
- Meet with City Staff and the Mayor
If you are committed to completing the above requirements, and making a difference through this learning opportunity, please complete the following:
- Complete the application online here Please note that the form is not compatible with Safari. Please choose a different browser.
- The following items will need to be uploaded at the time of application:
- A short essay (no more than one page) answering: "Why I want to be part of this program; what I hope to do with the knowledge that I gain; how and what I will contribute to this program."
- A letter of reference from a teacher, principal, or employer stating why they feel you would make a good teen council member.
Application deadline: Friday, September 14, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please email Terrence Gallagher: email@example.com
Photos from previous Teen Council sessions: