The mission of the Prairie Village Teen Council is to give our teens an opportunity to learn and actively participate in municipal government, positively impact our community, and gain leadership experience. This program will coincide with the academic school year beginning fall 2018 with graduation occurring in spring 2019.
The teens will have an opportunity to work closely with City Council representatives, sit on the dais and participate in discussions during the Council Committee meetings, tour and learn about our Public Works department, do a ride-along and learn about our Police Department, attend committee meetings, a school board meeting, and work together on a public service project. We are excited to offer this very hands-on learning experience for our youth in Prairie Village.
The student must be a Prairie Village resident (full or part-time), be a sophomore, junior, or senior high school student, and the teens and the parents must be willing to sign an agreement to complete all of the requirements.
Activities Include (over the course of one school year)
• Work closely with City Council members and Mayor while creating lasting relationships together
• Introduction to Administration and Mayoral Learning Session
• Public Safety Learning Session with the PVPD
• Public Works Learning Session
• Municipal Court Learning Session
• Planning Commission Leaning Session
• Attend a City Council Meeting Once a Month
• Committee Meeting (Parks, Arts, or Environmental)
• Volunteer for special events like Jazzfest, Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting, and the Gingerbread Houses
• Join the City Councilmembers on the dais and actively participate in Council Committee meeting.
• A Service Project
Photos from previous Teen Council sessions: