City Hall and Public Works buildings are closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please call 913-381-6464 if you are unable to conduct City business online. 

Administrative & Retail

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

All administrative or retail businesses in Prairie Village must obtain a City license.

If a new structure is built or there will be exterior or substantial interior improvements to the structure, applicants must also obtain permits from the Building Codes Department and pass a final inspection prior to receiving an Administrative/Retail license.

Common Questions

Q: What is an Administrative/Retail Business?
Any person engaged in any type of business or profession that leases or owns properties zoned C-0, C-1, C-2, or Planned Business District shall be considered either a retail establishment or administrative office for City licensing purposes.

Q: How long is the license valid?
The license is valid for one year and must be renewed annually.

Q: When do I need to obtain the license?
A business license should be obtained prior to your company's first day of operation in Prairie Village.

Q: Do I need a license if my business is based out of my home?
Yes  A Home Occupation License is required for all home-based businesses.

Q: How much will the license cost?
License fees for Administrative/Retail business licenses are based on square footage. Fee Schedule [PDF]

Q: What do I need to fill out the license application?
The following information must accompany all Administrative/Retail license applications:

  • common and legal name of business
  • street and mailing address
  • name and address of owner or corporate agent
  • business, mobile and fax phone numbers
  • type of business
  • name of owner of building where business is housed
  • total square footage of the business - must supply copy of the lease
  • documentation if your business is required to be licensed or certified by the State or Federal government
  • Kansas State sales tax number

Q: Who do I call with questions or problems?
Information on licensing requirements and fees is available from the City Clerk's Office or by calling 913-381-6464 or sending an e-mail to

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer