Rental Property

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Landlords who own residential property in the City and are renting or intend to rent their property must obtain a Rental License from the City for each rental property.

Common Questions

Q: How long is the license valid?
The license if valid for one year and must be renewed annually.

Q: Is an inspection required?
All single family residential rental properties are inspected for compliance with the City's Property Maintenance Code annually.  This is an exterior inspection.

Q: What is the license fee?
A license for residential rental houses and duplexes is $77/year.  The license fee for apartments is $.01 per square foot of the interior living space.

Q: When should a landlord apply for a rental license?
All new rental properties need to be licensed as soon as they are made available for or offered for rent.

Q: Is a Property Manager required?
Any property owned by someone outside of Johnson County, Kansas must have a local resident agent/manager.  If it is an apartment, the resident manager should be listed.  The person acquiring the rental license must also verify that there is a working smoke detector located on each floor of the residence.

Q: Is a rental license required for short term leases? 
 Yes, a rental permit is required for both long term leases and short term leases (such as those through Air B&B, VRBO, etc). 


More questions? Contact the City Clerk's Office at 913-381-6464 or send an e-mail to

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer