City Hall and Public Works buildings are closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please call 913-381-6464 if you are unable to conduct City business online. 

After the Trial

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Verdict

The verdict of the Judge will be based on the testimony which sounds most reasonable and on the facts presented during the trial. In making that determination, the judge can only consider the testimony of the witnesses who are under oath.

If you are found guilty by the Judge, s/he may announce the penalty at that time or may continue the case for a sentencing hearing.

You should be prepared to pay the fine at the time of sentencing.


Fines are assessed by the Court.

A fine will generally not exceed $500 for most traffic violations, $1,750 for Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor or Drugs or $2,500 for City ordinance violations.

Some other City ordinance violations can carry higher fines.

Forms of payment accepted by the Municipal Court are Cash, Check, Money Order, Visa, MasterCard or Discover. However, checks will not be accepted for payment of a fine that is pursuant to an amendment on a charge, paying of restitution, or any case with reinstatement fees to reinstate a driver's license.

Right to Appeal

If you are found guilty at trial you have the right to appeal your case to the Johnson County District Court, if you choose to do so.

If you do appeal the Judge's judgment, you must file a written notice of appeal with the clerk of the Municipal Court, post an Appeal Appearance Bond in the amount set out by the Judge, and pay a filing fee. Appeal Procedure & Notice

The appeal must be filed within fourteen (14) days, excluding holidays, from the date of judgment.

Damages in Civil Court

The Prairie Village Municipal Court has no jurisdiction over damages caused by an auto accident. Settlement of damages is a matter for a Civil Court to decide.

To recover damages you will have to file a separate civil suit in another Court. Municipal Courts hear criminal misdemeanor cases involving violations of City Ordinances, Municipal Code violations and traffic offenses.