Sponsor a Block Party

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Block PartyLooking for a way to have fun, energize your neighborhood, and get to know your neighbors? Sponsor a block party!

To make sure any emergency vehicles can move safely through areas hosting block parties, residents sponsoring block parties must obtain a permit from the City.

Obtaining a Block Party Permit is easy: Just download and complete the Permit Application form [PDF] and send it to Patrol Operations, Sgt. Travis Gray:  913-385-4620

Commonly Asked Block Party Questions

Q: How much of the street can I close off for the block party?
A Block Party shall not exceed the length of one block.

Q: Where can I have a block party?
Block parties are permitted only on residential streets.

Q: Do I need my neighbors' permission to close the street?
Yes. A signed petition by all residents on the block affected by the street closing is required. The petition must be submitted within five working days to the Police Department prior to approval of the block party.

Q: How do I block off the street?
Once your block party permit has been issued, City personnel will deliver barricades to the block party captain identified on the permit application. If your party will last into the evening, be sure to request lighted street barricades.

Q: Can I have music at the block party?
Yes. If you wish to use amplified sound equipment, remember to apply for an Amplified Sound Permit [PDF] when you apply for the block party permit.

Q: Is there a fee for a Block Party Permit?
No. Block Party and Amplified Sound Permits are free.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer