Victim's Rights

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


In 1992 the citizens of Kansas voted to amend the state constitution to afford certain rights to all victims of crime. These rights, as set forth in the Kansas Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights are as follows: 

Pursuant to K.S.A. 74-7333, as amended, a crime victim has the following rights in Kansas:
1. Victims should be treated with courtesy, compassion and with respect for their dignity and privacy and should suffer the minimum of necessary inconvenience from their involvement with the criminal justice system.

2. Victims should receive, through formal and informal procedures, prompt and fair redress for the harm which they suffered.

3. Information regarding the availability of criminal restitution, recovery of damages in a civil cause of action, the crime victims' compensation fund and other remedies and the mechanisms to obtain such remedies should be made available to victims.

4. Information should be made available to victims about their participation in criminal proceedings and the scheduling, progress and ultimate disposition of the proceedings.

5. The views and concerns of victims should be ascertained and the appropriate assistance provided throughout the criminal process.

6. When the personal interests of victims are affected, the views or concerns of the victim should, when appropriate and consistent with criminal law and procedure, be brought to the attention of the court.

7. Measures may be taken when necessary to provide for the safety of victims and their families and to protect them from intimidation and retaliation.

8. Enhanced training should be made available to sensitize criminal justice personnel to the needs and concerns of victims and guidelines should be developed for this purpose.

9. Victims should be informed of the availability of health and social services and other relevant assistance that they might continue to receive the necessary medical, psychological, and social assistance through existing programs and services.

10. Victims should report the crime and cooperate with law enforcement authorities. 

Pursuant to the Kansas constitutional amendment and the Kansas Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights, the City of Prairie Village adopted Resolution No. 93-4 to describe the manner in which victims of certain crimes charged through the Prairie Village Municipal Court are to be notified of court proceedings and to require that information to assist the victims of such crimes be provided to them. If a suspect has been identified and charged in the Prairie Village Municipal Court with a crime for which you are a victim as defined in Resolution No. 93-4, you are permitted to make a Victim Impact Statement. This statement permits you to express your feelings on sentencing and to describe the impact the crime has had on you and your family. In addition, you will be notified of court hearings as the case proceeds.

Compensation for Loss as a Victim. If you are a crime victim, you may be eligible for compensation for loss from the following sources:

1. Insurance Company. You or another party may have an insurance policy that provides coverage for personal injury or property loss due to crime. Please consult with your insurance agent of your attorney.

2. Kansas State Crime Victim Compensation Board. If you have medical expenses or lost wages as a result of a crime and these expenses are not reimbursed by insurance or public funds, you may be eligible to have the losses reimbursed by the Kansas State Crime Victims Compensation Board who may be contacted at 120 SW 10th Avenue, 2nd Floor, Topeka, KS 66612, (785) 296-2359

3. Court Ordered Restitution. If you report a crime and the offender enters diversion or is tried, found guilty and placed on probation or parole, the court in certain limited circumstances may order the offender to make restitution, that is, to pay for the costs of your injuries or damages. Please describe any monetary damages you have sustained on your Victim Impact Statement.

4. Small Claims/Civil Court. Civil remedies may be available in addition to or in lieu of criminal penalties. Please consult with your attorney. 


Click here for the Johnson County Victim Assistance
Click here for the Victim’s Bill of Rights 
Click here for the KS Attorney General Victim’s Services
Click here for the Crime Victims Compensation Brochure

 Battered Persons Shelter Office   913-262-4559 
 Johnson Co Social & Rehab Services  913-826-7300
 Crisis Phone for Battered Persons  913-262-2868
 Lawyer Referral  1-800-928-3111
 Johnson County District Attorney  913-715-3000
 Johnson County Juvenile Court   913-715-3380
 Crime Victims' Rights  800-828-9745
 Legal Aid for Johnson County  913-621-0200 or 1-800-479-6520


NOTE: The City is not responsible for payment of any of the services provided by these Victim Assistance Resources.