City Hall and Public Works buildings are closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please call 913-381-6464 if you are unable to conduct City business online. 

Home Day Care

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

All Home Day Cares in Prairie Village must obtain a City license.

Common Questions

Q: Do I need a business license to operate a Family Day Care Home?
Yes.  The applicant for a family day care license shall submit the following information to the City Clerk:

  • a completed license application,
  • floor plan for the facility,
  • a signed affidavit certifying that he/she understands the City performance standards with respect to the operation of a family day care home (included on the floor plan form), and
  • a copy of a current State License or certificate.

In addition, the applicant must also provide a copy of a current fire inspection.  Fire inspections must be conducted annually and should be scheduled with the Fire Department Administrative Office at 913-432-1105.

Q: How much does a day care license cost?
Upon approval of the application and payment of the $40.00 licensing fee (to be submitted with the application), a Day Care License will be forwarded to the applicant.

Q: What is a Family Day Care Home?
Section 19.34.015 [PDF] of the City Zoning Code defines a Family Day Care Home as an acceptable accessory use only if such day care home complies with the State of Kansas requirements for family day homes (KSA 65-517).

In addition, not more than ten children less than 16 years of age may be cared for in a licensed family day care home.

Not more than three of the children cared for in a family day care home can be less than eighteen months of age.

Q: Do I include my own children when determining how many children will be provided care?
Yes, if such children are cared for in the family day care home.

Q: May I hire employees to help run my family day care home?
No employees or other type of assistance will be allowed, except a non-family member may serve as the substitute care provider solely for the purpose of providing a back-up in the event of temporary and/or emergency absence of the child care provider in compliance with state regulations that require a substitute care provider.

Q: Who do I call with questions or problems?
Information on licensing requirements is available from the City Clerk's Office or by calling 913-381-6464 or sending an e-mail to

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer