**The 2019 Exterior Grant Program is full. Please submit a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the wait list. Staff will know in the middle of June whether any funds are available for those on the wait list.**
Are You Making an Improvement to Your Residence?
Maintaining a positive image is important to the City. The appearance of our neighborhoods plays a vital role in the perception of the quality of the community. The City wants to encourage homeowners to invest in their properties by making attractive improvements on building exteriors. The improved appearance of homes will make our neighborhoods more attractive and contribute to the enhanced viability of the entire area, and to the entire community.
- A grant of twenty percent will be awarded as a reimbursement for construction costs between $2,500 and $12,500 for exterior remodeling
- The grant can be in the amount of $500 to $2,500
- Funding for the grant program will be provided from the City's Economic Development Fund
- Continuation of the program will be considered by the Prairie Village Governing Body on an annual basis
- The Johnson County appraised value of the home must be less than $225,000
- Based on the scope and type of improvement, a building permit may be required. All required building permits and approvals must be granted prior to the commencement of work.
- The improvement must be in conformance with the City of Prairie Village Municipal Code and other applicable building codes. Code violations must be corrected within 10 working days of notification of the violation, or grant will be forfeited.
- The grant will be awarded as a 20% reimbursement of total project cost. The total cost of the improvement must be between $2,500 and $12,500.
- Eligible improvements include, but are not limited to: exterior painting/siding, exterior door/window repair or replacement, new roof, gutters, shutters, front-facing concrete work, masonry, foundation repairs, awnings, and building additions.
- The property must be owner-occupied. Or, if the property is a rental property, the rental license must have been in place for the previous 365 days prior to approval.
Receiving the Grant
No expenses can be considered until the resident(s) have applied for the grant, received approval, and have paid the $25 application fee. After approval, residents have 90 days to complete projects. Grant recipients must be able to show that progress is being made on the project within 60 days of approval or the grant will be forfeited.
Upon completion of the project, the applicant must submit qualified receipts and grant reimbursement form [PDF] to the Building Codes Department totaling between $2,500-$12,500.
Upon submission of adequate receipts and the grant reimbursement form [PDF], the City will issue a check to the applicant in the appropriate amount, not to exceed $2,500, within the next normal accounts payable process.
Applications may be downloaded here [PDF] or you may pick one up in the Building Codes department at City Hall. Funds are limited and extended on a first come, first served basis.