City Hall and Public Works buildings are closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please call 913-381-6464 if you are unable to conduct City business online. 

Solid Waste

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For missed pick ups, please contact Republic Services at 913-281-4343.

The City of Prairie Village contracts with Republic Services to provide weekly curbside collection of solid waste, recyclable materials, and yard waste for most residential properties in the City. In some areas, homes associations provide this service (Corinth Downs, Countryside East, Paddock Court, Corinth Place Villas, Village Park, and Town & Country). If you live in one of these neighborhoods, you should contact your homes association to see if any changes have been made to your service.

Solid Waste/Yard Waste/Recycling Pickup Schedule: You can use the map to identify the collection day for your home.

Trash Holidays Trash

Should one of these holidays fall on or before your normal pickup day, your solid waste, recyclables, and yard waste will be collected one day later that week.

Holidays that trash will not be picked up on include: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

Download the calendar [PDF]

Solid Waste Management Q & A

Q: When is my pickup day?
Solid waste, recyclable, and yard waste collection is made once per week. Use the Pickup Schedule Map to identify the collection day for your home.

Q: When can I set my trash out for collection?
Solid waste, recyclables, and yard waste should be set out no later than 7:00 am on your regular pickup day. The hauler cannot collect on arterial streets before 9:00 am or between 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. on weekdays.

Q: Where should I set my trash for collection?
Trash carts (blue containers with blue lids) should be placed within one foot of the curb. Please make sure the arrows on your trash cart are pointing toward the street. Please leave three feet of space between your trash cart and your recycling cart. Trash carts should be stored in your garage or behind the front building line of your home.

Q: How much can I put out?
Trash is limited to what fits in the trash cart. Please place all trash in bags inside the cart. Any excess trash can be set out in standard trash bags which will require overflow waste stickers at a cost of $1.25 per bag. Items must fit in a standard trash bag. Overflow waste stickers are sold in sheets of 5 or 10 and are available at these locations:

PV City Hall 7700 Mission Rd 913-381-6464
Westlake Hardware 4049 Somerset 913-381-7750
Euston Hardware 6955 Tomahawk Rd 913-262-6737


Special Pickup

Q: What do I do if I have large items?
You are allowed to set out one bulky item each month during the first full week of the month. Monthly bulky items must be smaller items such as rugs, counter top appliances, or small furniture. The item cannot be larger than 2' by 2' and should weigh less than 45 pounds. If a special pickup is required for large items, contact Republic Services at 913-281-4343. They may require an additional charge for this service. If residents leave unsuitable items for pickup, the contractor will notify the resident by a tag system that special pickup is required. The following items are excluded from bulky item pickup: construction materials, batteries, tires, automotive parts and hazardous waste.  Use the Yard Waste and Bulky Item Collection Calendar to identify days when you can set out bulky items.   

Q: What about paint, motor oil, and other hazardous waste?
Hazardous waste may be taken to the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment at 5901 Jim Bills Road, Mission, KS. The hazardous waste site is open on an appointment-only basis. An appointment may be made online here or by calling 913-715-6907

For more information about Johnson County's household Hazardous waste program, visit the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment online.

Problems With Collection

Q: The hauler just missed my house. What should I do?
Contact Republic Services at 913-281-4343. Someone will be happy to take your information and follow-up with the hauler to find out why there is a problem. The hauler should be back to collect missed trash, recyclables, or yard waste within 24 hours of your call.

Q: What do I do if the hauler makes a mess in the street?
Contact Republic Services. The problem will be reported to the hauler. The hauler must clean up the spill within 24 hours.

Disability Accommodation
If you are disabled, live alone and can't get your trash to the curb for collection, contact City Hall at 913-381-6464 to determine if you qualify for a disability accommodation.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer